The history of food magic is absolutely fascinating, well, at least I find food magic fascinating 🙂
For centuries, foods have been used to bolster the energy of rituals, of conscious creations (even before the practice was identified as Conscious Creation or Law of Attraction), of spells, of magick. “The ancients were known to eat foods containing specific energy for the reasons of strength and safety in battle, successful childbirth, prosperity, love and sex.”
While this practice isn’t identified as such any longer, food magic is still being practiced quite widely. Birthday cakes and wedding cakes are symbols of love and happiness. The foods used to make these cakes, the shapes of these cakes, the colours used to make and decorate these cakes can all be related to the energy of love.
Cherries, chocolates, red roses, even wine are popular choices as Valentine’s Day gifts, and they also are loaded with foods and items that resonate with love energies. (Rose petals, particularly crystallized or sugared rose petals are delicious, and they are directly love energy!!) Strawberries dipped in chocolate!! These are all examples of foods that amp up the love energy and would resonate really well with any love related conscious creation activities.
There are also food magic that would resonate really well with money manifesting, protection, health and healing, peace and happiness, etc.
It’s actually quite fun to modify recipes to add a dash of money and prosperity energy, or a wallop of love energy!
You can also amp up the manifesting energies of specific foods by adding some small additional touches, for example:
- using specific colours in icings or decorations can enhance specific energies;
- using specific coloured candles and making a wish (which is technically casting a spell). When you make a wish, blow out the candle, and then serve the cake or other food, everyone shares in the beneficence of the wish;
- adding decorative symbols, like rune symbols, or dollar signs, or hearts, or Astrology signs, or four-leaf clovers can add the symbol’s energy to the food and the ritual;
- writing words on the food. Masaru Emoto, in his book The Hidden Messages in Water, showed how powerful the vibrations of words are at influencing the structure of water. Most, if not all, foods have some water content and will be impacted by words. Decorate all kinds of breads and desserts with specific words – love, abundance, prosperity, etc – to amp up the energy of that food.
Since February is the month of Valentine’s Day, the month of love and self-love, I would like to share this delicious love energy recipe with you, a recipe that is delicious and will amp up both your soulmate manifesting energy and your self-love energy:
Chocolate Fudge Cake with Chocolate Glaze and Raspberry Coulis
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar (love energy)
- 1 cup natural cocoa powder (love energy)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (love energy)
- 1 cup sour cream (love energy)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract – not artificial (love energy)
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray two 8” round straight-edged wedding cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper and spray paper. Dust pans with flour, tapping out excess. Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon in the bowl of an electric mixer. Sift cocoa powder before adding. Mix on low speed for 1-2 minutes. Add sour cream, eggs, oil, water and vanilla and mix on low speed until completely incorporated. Pour batter into pans and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes for 15 minutes on a wire rack then remove cakes from pans and cool completely. 8” cake pans can be substituted for regular 9” cake pans.
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, broken into small pieces (love energy)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream (love energy)
Melt all ingredients together over a low heat. Whisk with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer until thick and fluffy.
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen raspberries in syrup (love energy)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (love energy)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste (love energy)
or you can use:
- 2 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (love energy)
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries to be used as a garnish (love energy)
- 1/4 cup sugar (love energy)
- fresh lemon juice to taste (love energy)
Purée raspberries with syrup, sugar, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Pour mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl to remove seeds, pressing on solids to extract juice. To maximize the love energy in this recipe, you should:
- while you make and eat this dessert, visualize being in the perfect relationship with your soulmate. How would you be feeling? What would you be doing together? What is your soulmate like? What characteristics drew you to your soulmate? or
- while you make and eat this dessert, visualize what self-love means to you. How would you be feeling if you loved yourself as you are right now with no changes? How would you behave? What would your self-talk be like?
- once you have covered the baked cake with chocolate glaze and it has set, write appropriate words or draw appropriate symbols all over the cake using either a piping bag and icing sugar/cream mixture, or store bought icing in a tube.
- place a pink or red candle on the cake, or your slice of cake. Light the candle and make a wish or recite a love spell. Blow the candle out to seal the wish or spell.
Additional Love Energy Magick: Soulmate Attracting Potpourri
- 2 tablespoons dried, crushed rose petals (preferably red and/or pink)
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon or 1 crushed cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 6 drops vanilla oil
Mix all the ingredients together while visualizing your soulmate being drawn to you like a magnet. Then place your hands over the mixture, palms down, saying something like:
Come to me now, perfect love By Sea, by Earth, by Sky above Feel the Spark now in your heart As this essence now imparts Knowledge of my presence here Come at once to me, my dear.
Repeat the chant five more times, then pour the mixture into a bowl and place it somewhere in your home where you spend a lot of time.
This ritual is best performed during the Waxing phase of the moon.
Note: this ritual comes from the book Everyday Moon Magic: Spells & Rituals for Abundant Living, written by Dorothy Morrison, page 168.